Frequently Asked Questions

Obituary & Services

Do you publish the Obituary in the newspaper?

We will assist in preparing an obituary to be published in the newspapers you request, with some newspapers also including a photograph.  
We can also place obituaries on radios stations that you request.

Are there charges for the obituaries?

Charges are determined by the individual newspaper, however,  before publishing we we will obtain a quote for your approval. Information is gathered from the next of kin and placed into a format ready for publication. It is always helpful to compile the names and general background of your loved one before coming in to meet with us. Keep in mind that newspapers typically charge by the column inch.  Thus the longer the obituary, the more the fee will cost. Newspapers have publication deadlines and we will help you get them to the newspaper or radio stations on time.

Do you provide green funeral services?

Yes, you can learn about our green funeral services HERE.

Do you offer Grief Support or Aftercare Services?

Yes we offer grief support and aftercare services. Please refer to this page for more information.

Benefits & Certificates

Who is entitled to social security benefits?

  • Widows and widowers age 60 or older.
  • Widows and widowers at any age caring for the deceased’s children who are under age 16 or disabled.
  • Divorced wives and husbands age 60 or older, if married to the deceased 10 years or more.
  • Widows, widowers, divorced wives, and divorced husbands age 50 or older if they are disabled.
  • Children up to age 18.
  • Children age 18 – 19, if they attend elementary or high school full time.
  • Children over the age of 18, if they become disabled before age 22.
  • The deceased worker’s parents age 62 or older, if they were being supported by the worker.

You may contact the Social Security administration directly by calling (505) 473-3707 or stop by their office at 1922 5th St. Santa Fe, NM. 87505. We are required to notify the Social Security Administration upon the death of an individual when we are providing services.

Where do I get death certificates?

We are required to  complete the death certificate when someone dies. The death certificate is a legal document and the original is a permanent record archived with the State of New Mexico Health Department Bureau of Vital Records in Santa Fe. Personal information on the death certificate is obtained from the family, and medical information is completed by the decedent’s primary care physician or the Office of the Medical Investigator “OMI” (when OMI is involved, expect additional weeks/months delay for processing of the death certificate). Once filed with the state office, the legal copies are referred to as “Certified Copies” and are printed on special paper.They cannot be photocopied and will be considered counterfeit, so actual certified copies are typically required for transactions involving money or title to vehicles or property. We will only release certified copies to the person making funeral arrangements. Additional copies are available from vital records directly (once filed) at:

Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics Department of Health

1190 St. Francis Drive, P.O. Box 26110, Santa Fe, NM. 87505

(505) 827-0123

Veteran & Military Information

Can you assist with Veteran’s information?

We are able to provide general information regarding VA benefits. Honorably discharged active duty veterans usually qualify for some funeral or cemetery benefits, however, some “reserve” veterans may not qualify. For questions on specific benefits for you personal situation we will direct you to the appropriate VA agency.

Does the Veterans Administration pay for funeral expenses?

The U.S. Government does not provide full  payment of casket or service expenses provided by the mortuary, unless the veteran is killed in action or dies as a result of a service connected death or disability. However typical benefits for honorably discharged veterans include: cemetery plot at VA cemetery for the veteran, (spouse and dependant child or adult dependant), opening & closing of the grave, headstone and US flag upon the death of the veteran. Individual benefits may vary, so please contact a VA representative for specific questions.

What is Military Funeral Honors?

Military Funeral Honors will been provided for eligible veterans when requested. As provided by law, an honor guard detail for the burial of an eligible veteran shall consist of not less than two members of the Armed Forces. The honor guard is typically provided  by the the branch of the military served by the deceased veteran. The honor detail will, at a minimum, perform a ceremony that includes the folding and presenting of the American flag to the next of kin and the playing of Taps. Taps will be played by a bugler, if available, or by electronic recording.

Who is eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

  • Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.
  • Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

Who is NOT eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

  • Any person separated from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions or whose character of service results in barring veteran’s benefits.
  • Any person who was ordered to report to an induction station, but was not actually inducted into military service.
  • Any person discharged from the Selected Reserve prior to completing one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service for reasons other than a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
  • Any person convicted of a Federal or State capital crime sentenced to death or life imprisonment.

How do I establish Veteran eligibility?

  • The required document is the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.
  • The DD Form 214 may be obtained by filling out a Standard Form 180 and sending it to:  

National Personnel Records Center

9700 Page Blvd, St. Louis, MO, 63132

The Standard form 180 may be obtained from the National Records Center or via the internet using this Link.

Is anyone else eligible to receive funeral honors?

Yes. Members of the Commissioned Officer Corps of the Public Health Service (PHS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), as members of a Uniformed Service, are also eligible to receive funeral honors.

What can the family of an eligible veteran expect?

The main  elements of the funeral honors ceremony, which will be conducted on request include:

  • Flag Folding
  • Flag Presentation
  • Playing of Taps

The Veteran’s parent Service Representative will present the flag.

How much does a Military Funeral Honors detail cost?

Military Funeral Honors are provided by the Department of Defense at no cost to the family.

How does a family request funeral honors?

Families of eligible veterans request funeral honors through their funeral director. the funeral director will contact the appropriate Military Service to arrange for the funeral honors detail.

Do Hot hesitate to Contact Us
With Further Questions

Helpful Articles